23/10/2013

Fashionable, not shoppingaholic. Is it possible?


Today I looked at some people for a while. Girls, young teenagers. Almost all of them were wearing the same time of clothes. Skinny jeans.  Nike shoes. Denim jacket. They follow a pattern created by our age society, but they don’t realise that being dressed all the same way, everyday, makes them look a little pathetic. Why don’t they see? Because that way, they are accepted.

Acceptance. I believe that that’s the question. I want to believe. That’s not that they don’t have personality, it’s that, nowadays, being different means exactly being different. Stand out. And at this age (if not at all ages) being different is not a “safe” way of life. We run the risk of being adored or being hated. And yes, I know what I am talking about, I know what is being rejected for no reasons.

Of course, I’m not defending that obsession for difference. Just because everyone brushes their teeth several times/day, we won’t stop doing it on order to be different. I think the important is not to try desperately to stand out of the crowd; the important is to find our taste and act (not only dress) as we really like. Be the persons we are.

Do you love to wear your denim jacket? OK. Do it. Seriously, you should. What you should not do is to dress like that because other people like it.

Now you may be questioning how this is related to the title. See that “skinny jeans, Nike shoes and denim jacket” generation? In order to be fashionable, every time a new “high school’s big trend” appears, they run to the shopping centre, ready to ruin their pocket money. To them, being fashionable means buy what people are wearing at that moment.

Lately, I’ve been thinking “Do we really need it? Do I?”. I use to say “I need the X boots.” “I want the Y dress.” “I need this.” “I need that.”. I just mean, I like, I would like to wear that, but when it comes to shop, I think if it is truly a necessity. It is not. Are you listening to me? It is not a necessity. 

This is the dark side of all the fashion exposure at Internet. The spread of this pink world where everyone is super stylish, has huge closets full of Louboutins, accessible to all of us, is the blamed for the excessive consumerism that is so appealing to us. I like it. I like to read hundreds of fashion blogs. I like to look for some street style inspiration (this is a controversial subject too). I like to know the latest trends. We love it. We love this world.

When I started blogging, I wanted to create a fashion blog that would not beg for buying. I wanted to show trends, suggest some items I like, whatever, not obligating people to go shopping. Well, sometimes we have to do it, that's a fact.  We love shopping. My blog should encourage not to shop more, but better. Other of its purposes is create an enjoyable time of reading. We like clothes, we can see clothes without buy clothes. By looking at other people's styles, we can learn how to use our things differently, instead of buy newer. That's the point! Learn what to do with what we have, or - why not? - customize the things we don't like or that don't fit us.
(Amazing! I just found my blog's purposes! Yay!)




What do you think about this subject? Do you agree with me? Let me know your opinion.

1 comentário:

KatXoXo disse...

Great post! I work with teenagers and it is amazing how many different groups of people there are that all dress the same. I think some kids have so much going on that it is a little easier to deal with being made fun of or standing out. When you get to know a lot of them they really are very different though :)